Monday, February 28, 2011

The best laid plans....

Never again will I say, "Well, at least it can't get any worse" because, of course, it always can:  Our trip to Ohio didn't go nearly as I had hoped.  

We left Friday night from Jackson, and drove about 5 hours until we made it to Louisville.  Grayson did absolutely awesome on the drive...he slept the whole time!  We checked into the hotel, got Grayson to sleep, and then headed to bed.  As we laid down, David and I both had upset stomachs, but we didn't reall think much of it.  About 3 hours later, David was shaking so bad in the bed that he woke me up--he made it to the bathroom to take a hot shower, hoping that would help him feel better.  It didn't.  Instead, he got sick....which continued for the next 24 hours.  I was able to fall back asleep, but awoke with horrible body aches just a short time later.  I also went to the bathroom to take a hot shower in hopes of feeling better, and I too ended up getting sick.  It was an absolute nightmare.  Thank goodness Grayson never got sick, or I would have absolutely lost my mind.

By about 10:00am or so, I was starting to feel better, but David wasn't.  We decided to drive the rest of our trip (about 3 hours or so), and see how things were going once we made it to the hotel.  The trip ended up taking much longer than it should have, due to having to pull over several times so David could get sick.  Again, thankfully, Grayson did awesome with the drive.  We made it to our hotel, and David crawled into bed.  I was determined to go visit with my family, so I took a shower, got Grayson ready, and headed to my Aunt and Uncle's house.  I was able to keep some crackers and 7-Up down on the way, and, other than feeling a little light-headed, I was feeling pretty much back to normal.

What a great visit Grayson and I had with the Scott side of the family!  I didn't get nearly as many pictures as I wanted to--but, Grayson was able to meet his Great Grandparents; Great Aunts: Barb, Shirley, and Bev; Great Uncle Mike; and 2nd cousins: Chelsea, Grace, Shawn, and Kelly!  He loved all of the attention (of course):
Grandpa Scott and Grayson

Grayson tried to pull the runner off the table!

Aunt Shirley gave Grayson "Pat the Bunny" which was my favorite book as a kid.

Kelly surprised Grayson by making the trip home to see him.
He thanked her by throwing up on her.

Grayson was a big fan of Grandma Sweetheart.  :)




After our visit, Grayson and I headed back to the hotel, picked up David, and drove straight to the Urgent Care center.  The doctor gave him a shot and a prescription for phenergan.  We had to drive all over town to find a pharmacy that was open at 7:00pm on a Saturday night, but we finally did.  Needless to say, the 3 of us were in bed asleep by 8:30pm that night.  :)

We woke up Sunday morning, and, thankfully, David was feeling better.  He still wasn't at 100%, but he had his appetite back, and he had more energy than the day before.  We headed to my hometown around lunch time, and spent some time exploring.  I showed David the 2 houses I grew up in, where I went to school, my old church, and some other sights.  We ate lunch at the local restaurant (yes, there is only 1 in town), and then headed to the Planks. 

We had a great visit with the Planks.  Grayson loved seeing his Great Grandparents again!

Grayson and Great Grandpa John

Grayson and Great Grandma Joy

After we left my grandparents, we explored West Liberty a little more, and then headed to my Aunt Shirley's house.  Since David hadn't been able to meet any of the Scott family on Saturday, we had a get-together Sunday  night.  David loved getting to meet everyone, and, of course, Grayson had a blast, too!

Unfortunately, while we were driving back to our hotel that night, David called his mom and found out that she had been sick all day.  Pam was spending the weekend at our house in Memphis watching Cordi and Bailey, and ended up spending the whole time in bed, miserable.  David and I immediately decided that we needed to head back home Monday morning, instead of staying another day, as we had planned. Family is just more important!  

We are THRILLED that we got to see my family, and I had a great time showing David and Grayson around the areas where I grew up.  I have been looking forward to this trip for months and months, and, although things didn't turn out like I had figured they would, it was still so wonderful to spend a few short days with those people who are most important to me.  Hopefully, we will get to go back for another visit this summer!  

Oh, and Grayson just did AWESOME on the trip.  He slept through the night every night in the hotels (I was afraid he wouldn't since his schedule was so off), and he traveled SOOOOOO WELL in the truck!  He only got fussy when we were about 20 minutes outside of Jackson, but I think, by that point, he was just done with spending so much time in his car seat.  I climbed in the back, sat next to him, and he was laughing the rest of the way to my parents' house. 

I will leave you with some pictures of Grayson that I took last week before we left to head out of town.  He is definitely a riot!  
He came home from daycare one day with his hair sticking up all crazy-like!

Check out the big boy!

He is soooo over Mommy taking pictures.  :)

As always, thank you for checking in on us!  We love you all so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment