Tuesday, November 30, 2010

one tough little guy

Well, it's been quite a couple of days in the Bledsoe house, and none of it has been much fun.  That's right, folks.  Grayson has been a sick little boy.  :(

**Disclaimer: We followed the advice of our pediatrician throughout the time that Grayson was sick.  So, no judgement about what we should/shouldn't have done is allowed.**

As I mentioned in the previous post, Grayson wasn't feeling great over Thanksgiving.  He wasn't sick...he just had a bit of a snotty nose.  So, Sunday morning when he woke up, he seemed to be back to his old self.  He was as happy as he could be, and he smiled and played with David before his morning nap.  Around 2:30pm or so, I was feeding Grayson.  He was eating his oatmeal and drinking his bottle, when I noticed he felt a little warm.  David woke up while Grayson was eating, and he noted the same thing.  We checked Grayson's temperature, and it was around 101.  It was official...
Grayson snuggled up with Daddy, and decided to take a rest.  He looked absolutely pitiful:

By that evening, Grayson's fever was up to 102.7.  We called the doctor, and they told us to keep giving him tylenol every 4 hours, keep him hydrated, and let them know if it appeared that he got to feeling any worse.  Since he wasn't having any trouble breathing, and he was eating just fine, there was really no cause for alarm.  We were to call back in the morning for an appointment.  David and I set in for a long night.  (Oh, and I forgot to mention that David and I weren't feeling well either.  It was a fun time in the Bledsoe house, let me tell you!)

Grayson slept a lot, but only if he was in my arms.  Luckily, we were finally got him to go to sleep in his swing (I think that's the only way he could breath because he was so stuffy.)  Around 3:00 Monday morning, we checked his temp again, and it was up to 103.8!  Oy!  Needless to say, I didn't get much more sleep that night.

Grayson woke up around 6:00am, and ate as normal.  His temperature was down to 102.5, and he appeared to be feeling a little better.  At the doctor, we found out that there was really nothing we could do--we simply had to ride this out.  (He was sick with some type of virus, and, even if there was some medicine that could help him feel better, he's too little to take it.)  His ears were clear (no ear infection, thank goodness!), his chest was clear (only head congestion, thank goodness!), and his flu test was negative (again, thank goodness!).  We were sent home with the instructions to monitor him closely, and bring him back anytime we felt we needed to, even if it was every day (have I mentioned we love Dr. Catherine?!?!).

By yesterday afternoon, Grayson's fever was down to 101.1, and he was smiling more and more.  He still slept a bunch, but it appeared he was on the mend!  He was eating well, and he went to sleep in his crib, as always.  Unfortunately, about 2:30 this morning, he was so stuffy he could hardly breathe!  :(  My saint of a husband got him back to sleep around 3:30am, and we all went back to bed.  (Because, as I mentioned, David and I both were feeling crappy.)

Thankfully, this morning, Grayson's fever is gone, and it looks like he is almost back to his old self!  He is still a little fussy (probably because he's tired), but he is laughing and smiling just like he always does! We are so so so so so happy to have him back to normal!  Also, thankfully, David and I are starting to feel better, too.  (Of course, we have pumped ourselves full of Vitamin C since Saturday, so we better be feeling better!)  Just a few minutes ago, I walked into the living room to find Grayson and David playing video games:

Oh, and I should note that Grayson weighed 16lbs 13ounces yesterday!  What a big boy!! :)

Please pray for us: that Grayson has indeed kicked this sickness, and that David and I don't feel any worse.  It's no fun taking care of a sick baby when you are sick yourself!

As always, we love you all! Thanks for checking in on us!

No comments:

Post a Comment