Once upon a time.....
On Sunday morning, Grayson and I were taking a drive around Memphis, just to give us a chance to get out of the house for a bit. We were driving near on Summer Avenue, close to where it intersects with Kirby Whitten Road. Off to the side of the road, I noticed an adorable little dog (a pug) sniffing and running around. I noticed how cute he was, but didn't pay much attention. A few seconds later, he started to run out into the street. I was so afraid that he was going to get run over on such a busy road that I pulled over to see if I could catch a glimpse of a collar.
When I stopped, I called, "Here doggie! Here doggie!" And this guy comes running right up to me, with his tail wagging just as fast as it could go:
He wasn't wearing a collar, but he looked to be quite healthy, so I just knew he belonged to someone. Bailey and Cordi flashed through my mind, as did my brother's dog Tadpole (who just recently was lost). I couldn't just drive away from this little guy! We had to find his home!
So, I put him in the car, and headed home. I called my friend, Jenni, who has fostered lost animals, and asked her who she thought I should contact. She suggested that I post a picture of my new friend on the Facebook page of a local rescue group. I also called some of the businesses close to where I found him. Up to that point, no one was claiming him. It looked more and more like he was going to become a member of the Bledsoe family (or so I was hoping)! ;)
When David woke up, he met "Bud" (as we began to refer to him), and immediately fell in love with him, just as I did. But, we both knew there was no way we could keep him at our house: we have our hands full with Grayson, full-time jobs, and two other doggies. And, unfortunately, Bailey and Grayson weren't big fans of Bud (to say the least). I told David that the last thing in the world I wanted to do was to take Bud to a shelter. Most of the shelters have a policy that dogs can stay there only so many days before they are euthanized....and, because Bud was an older dog, the likelihood of him being adopted before that time period was up was very low. I told David that I would wait until Monday (today) to see if I could find Bud's owners, or someone to take care of him. If I couldn't, I would take him to the shelter.
Bud was a very very affectionate dog. He would run up to David and I with that tail just wagging, or he would jump up on our legs, just begging to be loved on. I gave Bud a bath, and put him in the kitchen to dry off. (He did dry off, but he also curled up right next to me and went to sleep!)
Later Sunday night, Jenni texted me and said that a possible foster family had been located! I was soooooo excited, and made contact with the foster Mommy. I told her I was waiting to hear back from a few of the businesses I had located, and I wanted to get him scanned for a microchip. If nothing turned up, I would call her Monday morning.
By the end of the night, Bud seemed content, but he was not eating or drinking a thing. I went to bed, praying that something would work out where Bud would be taken care of by the loving foster family.
Around 12:45pm, I arrived at Holly's house, and introduced her to Bud. He immediately ran inside, drank a bunch of water, and pooped on her living room floor! I knew at that moment that Bud had found his home. It was so hard to leave him, though! I had fallen in love with the little guy so quickly, and I wished so much that he could live with us. BUT, I also knew, after just one minute of meeting Holly, that he was going to be soooooooooo loved.
I got an email from Holly this evening with an update on our Bud:
"We have named him 'Pugsley' and he is even coming to his name! He is in a blue sweatshirt we got him and has done GREAT this afternoon! He loves the kids and hasn't stopped playing. Our dogs were fine with him and they all play fine together. He has drank TONS of water and went out and peed. He is super sweet! I am hoping to get him to a vet soon to make sure everything is ok. He seems very healthy and has been well cared for by a family at some point. If there are no owners to be found, we will for sure be keeping this little guy in our family...Well, he's not that little! :) Just thought I'd share an update with you! :) Thank you so much for bringing him! :)" So, there is the story of a boy named Pugsley.
And they all lived happily ever after!
No comments:
Post a Comment