Monday, April 18, 2011

Men just don't understand!

I had planned on writing a blog on a whole other topic today, but then my morning went drastically downhill, and I got to thinking about the differences between men and women. Now, don't worry if you are a guy who is reading this; I'm not going to bash men or anything. But, I do feel there are some distinct differences in the way men and women look at situations.

I guess I should start at the very beginning. If you don't already know, I have a very flexible job. I have a certain number of hours to work each month, and that's it. Once I'm done, I'm done. So, if I get up one morning and don't feel like going to work, or if I decide I want to get home early one day, I can. The downside of this, though, is that I often find myself trying to fit a bunch of hours into the last few days of the month (because I am much more laid-back than I should be at the beginning of the month). This month, I am working more hours than normal on top of being lazy at the beginning of the month, so these next two weeks are just slammed.
Anyway, I left for work and dropped Grayson off, just like I always do. I took him to his classroom, and I told the teacher that I had this nagging feeling that I was forgetting something. We ran through the list of his supplies, and decided he had everything, so I left. I had to see a client who lives about an hour away this morning. I had been there for about an hour when I noticed I missed a call from Grayson's daycare. They left a message letting me know he didn't have any bottles at school. "No big deal," I thought to myself. "I will just call David, and he can run some by. " I called David. And called again. And again. And again. His phone went straight to voicemail each time. He wasn't answering the home phone either. So, I had no choice. I got in my car and drove the hour back to Memphis.
I need to make very clear that I was never mad at David. With his job, he has to sleep when he can, and I knew that's why he wasn't answering his phone. This is a fact of life that I have grown accustomed to over the last three years, and I have learned to deal with the inconvenience it can sometimes be. Anyway, David woke up when I walked in the door, and found that his phone had died. I grabbed some bottles, dropped them off at daycare, and hit the road to drive another hour to see my client. (That's 3 hours of driving for only one hour of billable work.)

Whew. What a morning.

Here is where the differences between men and women really became apparant:
To David, although this was a big deal and a major bump in the road to the day, it wasn't a huge problem. It was something that sucked, but we needed to move on and go about the things we needed to do.
I, on the other hand, was absolutely discombobulated. I was soooooo frustrated, to the point I was on the verge of tears. How was I going to still see all my clients and get all my monthly hours in, still getting home in time each day to spend time with Grayson?!? It was all too much for me to handle!

I know that David tries so hard to understand my point of view on things, but I think this is one of those situations that he just won't ever be able to see from my perspective. As a mom, there is a lot of pressure from the world (and ourselves) to be perfect: have a perfect house, make perfect meals, be the perfect weight with the perfect clothes and hair and make-up, make the perfect amount of money, and not be a. bitchy naggy wife. That's hard, yall!!! I don't pretend that everything is perfect because I really word lose my mind if I did. But, I still strive for that perfection....and not reaching that perfection can be a major blow to my Mommy Ego.

I am sure there is just as much pressure on daddy's, and I know I can never understand that. I have tried very hard over the last several months to attempt to take that pressure into account whenever I am frustrated at David or things don't go my way. And, I will be the first to say that I will never fully comprehend David's point of view.

But, I try. I try really hard. After all, isn't that what I hope David would do for me?

So, today didn't go at all as it should have. It was way hard I guess I learned to very important lessons, though:
1. Life is so much easier if I remember that guys and girls think differently.
2. Always pack extra bottles.


Thanks for checking in on us! We love you all!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment