David and I have made a commitment to GET HEALTHY, and, as a result, have joined Weight Watchers. It took me a little bit of time to get used to the idea of us joining. After all, one of the things I remember most about my childhood is my grandmother talking about how she could only eat grapefruit and dry toast for breakfast, and complaining about having to go to “weigh in” every week. The way she described those weigh-ins were pretty much the same way prisoner would describe his time in solitary confinement---it just sounded horrible. But, after doing some research, David and I realized that WW has completely changed from years ago. In fact, we were able to sign up to complete everything online…it’s wonderful!
Basically, here is the way the program works:
1. Everything we eat has a point value. I’m not sure what the highest point value is (and I definitely don’t want to know), but things typically range from 0 to 20-something points.
2. We are given a daily point limit that we are supposed to stay under. Mine is 29. David’s is 49. We are also given a weekly point value that are “just-in-case” points. So, if we have a day where we just go completely overboard with our eating, it doesn’t ruin our whole week. (I really like this because, in previous diets, I have been in the mindset that everything is completely pointless if you have one bad day.)
3. We can earn points for the amount of activity that we do. In other words, we can earn food points when we exercise. The more we exercise, the more we can eat!
So, that’s about the plan. It’s very easy. We put what we eat (or what we plan to eat) into the computer, it automatically adds our points up, AND they even have recipes that we can make that we know will be low point values. (They have 0 point vegetable soup!) I also downloaded the points calculator on my phone, so when I am at work or out in the community with a client, I can still keep track of my points. (Today, I forgot my lunch at home, so I was able to look up the points for what I was eating from Subway, plug it into my tracker, and know that I was still under my points for the day. It was wonderful!)
As you can tell, I am loving the program so far…of course, check back in a few days, and I will probably be screaming about how hungry I am and how much I hate being on a diet. (That’s the thing I like the best, though. It doesn’t really feel like I am dieting—I mean, I still get to eat basically whatever I want…but, now I am accountable to myself in a way that I can actually see. If I choose to have pizza one night, then I know I have to make healthier choices for the rest of the day, or exercise more that day. I also like it because it is helping my portion control. I realized before that I was eating WAY TOO MUCH. Now, I eat less and still get full!)
I am planning on putting up weekly updates of our progress. I am not going to put our weights on here (that’s just a little too personal), but I will let you all know how much we have lost. I think that will definitely help with our accountability, too. I may also, if I get the courage, but progress pictures up here. I haven’t decided about that yet, though. :)
In other news, Grayson is becoming a very mischievous little boy. I can tell that he is more and more like his daddy every day! This morning, I was getting ready, and I heard that he was awake on the monitor. I checked on him (thanks to our wonderful video monitor), and the little stinker was yanking on the cord to the monitor. He pulled and pulled and smiled and smiled…he knew exactly what he was doing! HA! His third tooth has started coming in, and this time, it is a top tooth! That has made him a little more cranky than usual, but not too terrible….he’s always smiling—unless he’s sleeping! :) Anyway, this morning, he was pretty needy: he wanted to be held the whole time I was trying to do other things, and he cried when he fell over (which he doesn’t ever do). I gave him some Tylenol (because he was chewing on his fingers something fierce) and we headed off to school. He was fussy the whole way (when he typically talks the whole time), and even fussy when I walked him into school. Wouldn’t you know, though, that as soon as he saw his teacher, Ms. Mo, he got the BIGGEST smile on his face, and he didn’t stop smiling the whole time I was there! Again, little stinker! I guess I don’t have to worry about any separation anxiety with him any time soon! :)
I still can’t believe he is about to be 7 months old. Time is just flying by too fast…it feels like it was just yesterday that he was an itty-bitty baby. David and I have looked back through his baby book and at the pictures around our house, and we cannot believe how much he has changed since he was born! He doesn’t even look like the same kid. He was so little for the first month, and then, literally almost overnight, he just kind of blossomed into the little boy he is today! I have been thinking more and more about what a great big brother he is going to be…hopefully, sooner than later, we will be able to give him a little brother or sister. He is going to LOVE having someone to play with all the time…and I know they are going to get into so much trouble together!
Everything else is pretty much business as usual at the Bledsoe house. We are in the midst of some pretty major Spring Cleaning at our house. We are getting rid of all our clutter, and the “6 month rule” is in full effect: if we haven’t used it, seen it, or worn it in the last 6 months, it’s GONE. Oh, I love that rule. Right now, it all seems very overwhelming, but I know once we are through, it will feel soooooooo good to have a house that is exactly the way we want it…and ready to put on the market!
I don’t really have any new pictures of Grayson—we have been busy this week with living life, and I haven’t gotten the chance to take any! I will get some up here soon, though, I PROMISE! As always, thanks for checking in on us! We love you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment