Wednesday, March 13, 2013

We made it to the other side!

Exhausted.

Now, believe me, I have been exhausted before.  I was an exhausted mother of a newborn who woke up every hour on the hour to eat for the first month of his life.  I was an exhausted working mother of a hyper 15 month old who was also 9 months pregant--oh, and moving into a new house--all at the same time.  I was an exhausted working mother of 2 children under 2 who suddenly both refused to sleep through the night--but would wake up at different times just to mess with me.  But this week has been the cheery on the top of the exhausted sundae.  I don't remember the last time that my body actually revolted out of lack of energy. 

It all started last Sunday when David woke up after working the night before and said he didn't feel very good.  We had some errands we had to do, so we stopped by Walgreens on the way and I drugged him up with all the cold medicines, throat drops, and other potions I could find.  I had to work late in Jackson on Monday, so David had the kids all to himself.  When I got home, I could tell he was feeling worse.  I gave him more drugs and he seemed to be doing okay. Then, early Tuesday morning, David woke me up shaking.  I immediately knew it was fever.  And it was.  102.5.  YIKES!  I took him to the doctor that afternoon, and the doctor confirmed my guess: it was the flu.  Let me tell you, that is not a fun thing to hear, especially when you have a 2 year old and a 1 year old who adore their daddy.  So $200 in Tamiflu later, we settled in for what I knew was going to be a long week.  I prayed that the kids wouldn't get sick, but I mostly prayed that I wouldn't get sick, too.  I know that sounds selfish, but, we really needed at least 1 healthy parent.  There is NO WAY we would have survived if both of us were stuck in bed as sick as David was. 

Unfortunately, David was scheduled to work 6 days in a row--and there was no chance that he was going to be able to go into work each night and not pass out.  So, for the next 2 days, I made phone calls, talked to managers, and arranged coverage for David working--which was tough because there were only 2 healthly managers out of the 9 that work with David.  It was like a pandemic hit his job.  David HAD to go back to work Friday night, because there was just no one who could cover for him, but at least he was able to have those 3 days off at home to try and rest. 

Grayson came home for school on Thursday with a fever of 102, so I put him in bed with David and let them be the sick boys together. 
The rest of the week and weekend is a blur.  David was working and when he wasn't working he was sleeping because he felt so awful.  Grayson and Finnley were just a whirlwind of hyperness and sleepiness.  Let's just say, I was not a good mom at all over the weekend.  I yelled, I got frustrated, I just survived.  I'm not proud of myself. 

By Monday morning, Finnley was way more fussy than normal, Grayson was back to himself, and David was coughing so hard he was practically passing out.  I took Finnley to the doctor, knowing she was fine but wanting to make sure, and planning on going to work for at least a few hours since I hadn't worked since the previous Monday.  Well, the doctor shot down those hopes when he told me she had an ear infection.  So, more medicine, more fussiness, and more money to the doctor.  UGH.  At one point that day, I just sat in my car and cried.  I completely broke down.  I know it sounds so stupid to say that--I mean there are single moms who do this every day and don't complain, there are parents of kids who are horribly sick who do this for months on end and don't complain.  Here I am just holding down the fort for a week and I'm in my car crying like a baby.  You know what, though?  I don't really care if anyone else thinks it's silly--this week was HARD no matter which way you look at it, and I was over it.  OVER. IT. 

I even had to do some crafting because I was so stressed.  The fact that I turned to crafting actually cracks me up since I have not a creative bone in my body.  :)

Thankfully, this morning, everyone seems to be back to their old selves.  David is feeling better. The kids are back to school.  And I am at home, trying to play catch-up on paperwork, cleaning this house, and my energy.  We shall see how that goes.  :)

A couple random things:
1.  We were able to spend some time yesterday at a local lake.  The kids LOVED being outside and chasing the geese.  It was so fun being able to get everyone out and in the fresh air. 

2.  In the next week or so, I will be once again completing the Advocare 24-Day Challenge.  I did this back in August and had fabulous results, so I am excited to do it again. 
I will be documenting my journey here, so be sure to check in!

Okay, back to catching up on my work.  Here's my view for the rest of the day:

As always, we love you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment