Marriage is HARD!
I know I am not the only one who thinks that marriage is work, and I know I am not the only one who thinks marriage is hard. I have been married for almost 4 years now, and I often tell David that it feels like 40. Have a loved every minute of it? Honestly, no. But I have cherished every single second because I know that I am living out God's Plan with the one He chose for me. That doesn't mean that our life together is all sunshine and roses. We argue. We yell. We act like little kids and stop talking. But, we also love each other fiercely.
I am very blessed to have parents who have been married for almost 38 years. As a child, I remember seeing many of my friends' parents divorcing, and I remember being scared my parents would, too. I would hear them argue--and I just knew the next day they would tell me. But they didn't give up on each other or our family. I was able to learn from them what love really is--love is forgiveness and understanding. Love is knowing that you aren't going to give up on each other. I may not always like my husband, but I always love him. Love is a decision, and not just a feeling.
I am reading a book about love and marriage right now. I'm not going to say what book it is yet since I am not finished with it. BUT, in the book it lists reasons why God created marriage. I never really thought about why marriage is so important, other than knowing that's what God wants us to do. I learned, though, that God created marriage:
- to eliminate our loneliness.
- to multiply our effectiveness.
- to establish families.
- to raise children.
- for us to enjoy life.
- to bless us with relational intimacy.
Marriage is designed to show us our need to grow and deal with our own issues and self-centeredness through the help of a lifelong partner. I am so thankful for my life-long partner and is willingness to help make me a better person. Through our marriage, I have become much more selfish in my thoughts and actions. Am I still selfish--YES! Oh goodness, yes. But, I am also much more focused on trying to love others before myself.
I have decided that I am going to write more on here about life as a wife and mom--the lessons I'm learning, things I'm reading, what I'm experiencing--and less about our mundane happenings. I really want to be able to share some of the other side of our life. I don't want to sit hear and make it sound like David and I are perfect. We are so far from it. (Seriously, if there were cameras in our house, you all would definitely see just how far from perfect we are.) I hope that someone reading what I write can be blessed--and bless their marriage in return.
Until next time....
No comments:
Post a Comment